Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Home to Kansas

After not being home since Christmas, it was nice to spend some time with friends and family at home in the Good Ole USA. I also got to catch an afternoon Royals game and see the newly renovated Kauffman Stadium. Obviously I'm a little biased, but what a great stadium! We went early and tailgated for a while. One of the things (yes, one of the many I might add!) we Americans have on the Europeans is sporting events. They have soccer and 6 day long cricket games. We have baseball, college football, college basketball, and did I mention the atmosphere at all of them! What's better than a good tailgate, walking in the stadium and then getting goosebumps from hearing the Star Spangled Banner (yep, happens to me every time)?!?!? OK, maybe a good F-16 flyover to top it off, but you get my point.




Jennifer and I outside the Party Deck.
Driving back from the game, we passed a Gates BBQ, so of course I couldn't resist stopping and grabbing a "beef on bun". Unfortunately, it was about 5:30 and we were meeting Tim and Josh in Lawrence for dinner. Oh well, it's Gates and I haven't had good BBQ since the last time I was home!

Me, Josh, and Tim at Quinton's after a couple beers at Free State. Don't get me wrong, I love the German beer, but it's dang hard to beat an Ad Astra or John Brown from The Free State Brewery in Lawrence. It seemed like the jukebox at Quinton's only played songs from when we were in college, which made us all laugh and wonder where all the time has gone since we were young and irresponsible. Well, young at least. HA!

This is the view from my parents' backyard toward a small rain shower behind a few of the windmills in town. See, Spearville is "green" and on the cutting edge. Even T. Boone Pickens would be proud.


I had a nice relaxing weekend sitting on the patio with a few drinks with mom, dad, and Brad enjoying the great weather. I can't believe I left without getting some pictures of your mugs to put on here! Next time!