Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lam, Germany

(The picture is from the hotel's website. I took mine directly into the sun, so it didn't come out very good.)

On Friday night I attended a work party in Lam, Germany, which is about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Munich and only a couple miles from the Czech border. I might post something later on the party, but for now, lets just say it had a beach theme complete with a pool, so needless to say "the new guy" brought back some wet clothes! Today, we had various outdoor activities to choose from, so I chose mountainbiking thinking it would be a nice peaceful ride. My first clue that it wasn't what I had expected was the fact that out of about 25 of us, I was one of the few without my own biking pants or even bike! I guess they don't like to let gravity work for you here either. Instead of starting at the highest point, they drove us to the lowest point in the valley and the 22 mile leisurely cruise turned into what seemed like an entire day of peddling uphill. Although grueling (I'm sure me being completely out of shape had nothing to do with it!), I really enjoyed the day and had a great time. Maybe next time I will suggest we do it in the opposite direction though. Lunch was at an old military outpost at the top of one of the mountains, so we had great views from there. Unfortunately I left my camera in the van, so I will have one of my friends send me some pictures so I can post them later.

This is the hotel in Lam.
German countryside on the way back from Lam to Munich: