Sunday, April 5, 2009

Snowshoeing and Military Band Concert

Chris, Alissa and I went snowshoeing just south of Munich near a town and lake called Tegernsee on Saturday. The weather was perfect - lots of sunshine and warm enough to go without a jacket most of the time. None of us had ever been snowshoeing before, but it was a lot of fun. It was obviously a lot like hiking in the summertime, but was a little more work because of the snow even with the shoes. We did a pretty easy one not knowing how it would be, so it was only about a 2,700 ft elevation gain.





Alissa and I cracking up trying to keep our balance while showing off those stupid shoes! This was at the top (that's a church/chapel in the background).




Chris and I doing our best serious pose.


Me and Alissa


This is a monstary on the lake that is also a famous brewery in the area, so of course we had to make sure their beer was still good after the hike.



Today, I went to a Military Band Concert. To call it a military band concert is a little bit of a stretch though. There were 7 countries represented, but not all of them were military bands and there was quite a bit more "show" (performance) than I was expecting, but it was still fun and pretty neat. I love watching military bands and marching bands, so was a great combination. Texas A&M's is still the best I've ever seen by a long shot!

This is Poland.

Ukraine

Germany (if you couldn't tell)


France


At the end everyone performed together. From top left clockwise...France, Lithuania, Germany, Italy, Poland, Ukraine.

Scotland is the 7th country and is in the front with the bagpipes.


This is a short video of one of the Ukrainians (I can do this I'm pretty sure).




The next three videos are of the crazy Germans of course. The crowd went nuts for these guys as you can tell from the half yodel half hollars in the background! (gotta love Munich too - there was no shortage of lederhosen and dirndls in the crowd either! Maybe I should have worn mine - I will have to wait 3 more weeks I guess until I go to Fruelingsfest in Stuttgart.)