Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ski Trip to Axamer Lizum

A few friends and I joined the Munich Ski Club, which takes weekly bus trips to different ski resorts each weekend. This weekend 2 friends and I went to Axamer Lizum, which is just outside of Innsbruck, Austria (or about 2 hrs from Munich) and was used for the 1964 and 1976 Olympics. They hadn't received any new snow since January 1st, so the snow was pretty crunchy/icy in spots, but we had a great time anyway. I can never complain about the scenery! I also learned that skiing in Europe is more than just skiing though. Apre´s Ski (which pretty much translates to after ski party - literally "after ski") is part of the experience and entails listening to "party" music, drinking and dancing after the last run of the day.


My friend Alissa and I taking a pre-lunch break for a warm drink.


This is a view from the top of the mountain down into the town of Innsbruck (right side of the picture).


This is the band that was playing during lunch. Not a bad view behind them!

This is me and my friends Alissa and Justin at Apre´s Ski.



This is a video of someone paragliding while skiing. He just skiied down enough to pick up some speed and then his parachute took over (it's hard to see, but he did a flip right at first too). You can hear the band in the above picture playing in the background...and yodeling. Yep, yodeling. Gotta love Austria!