Sunday, January 18, 2009

Skiing at Obertauern, Austria

My two friends Justin and Alissa and I went to Obertauern, Austria to ski today. It is south of Salzburg, so is about 2 and a half hours southeast of Munich. Even though it was fairly far in comparison to a lot of other places, we heard they just got new snow and it is a pretty big resort. The weather was great most of the day until mid-afternoon and then the clouds came and it got hard to see. The snow wasn't too bad. I never thought I was or realized it, but I think skiing so much in Colorado made me become a snow snob. Even though they had just gotten some new snow a day or so ago, it still wasn't "Colorado powder". All of those fun "back bowl" areas that almost always have powder have been really chunky and icy here so far. Maybe we just haven't been lucky either. However, the runs here seem to be a lot steeper and are actually a lot of fun because of it. The other thing they have here are heated seats (on a few lifts) and "bubble covers" over the chair lifts, which make a huge difference especially toward the top if it is windy. Neither place had long lines either, so we are definitely getting plenty of ski time in!

The first time I was in Europe and at the Hofbrauhaus, I thought it was strange everyone was singing along to John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" song. Well, it is a German and Austrian favorite apparently and everyone was singing it during Apre's Ski today too. Needless to say, some of the music you hear here just makes you laugh. We heard a Milli Vanilli song today at lunch! I am not even kidding!